There was an interesting article in the Boston Globe today entitled Doubts about 2020 field send Democratic party elites, donors scrambling to find a savior.
The Democrats are panicking, yes they are.
- Michael Bloomberg? Lots of money but no charisma at all.
- Deval Patrick? Loads of charisma but a mediocre manager (and I’m not sure America is ready for another black President so soon). 1
Yes, it’s not the world’s strongest field.
- Biden is not Obama.
- Warren is probably too far left.
- Sanders is a protest vote.
- Buttigieg is very young, inexperienced, and also very gay.
Still, as Ed Rendell, the former governor of Pennsylvania points out, in head-to-head national polls, the top Democratic candidates in the running beat Trump.
I’d like to see a Biden-Warren ticket, with Biden maybe offering to be a one-term President. Just a thought.
I posted something on Facebook about this today, and it generated a lot of debate.
In any case, don’t freak out yet, my fellow progressives. It’s still all about the electoral college, and I don’t see Trump winning all five of Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida a 2nd time, which he would have to do to be re-elected. Suburban women may still save us all.
There is no savior out there. We have the candidates that we have. Some of the candidates that could have caught fire — Corey Booker, Kamala Harris and Kirsten Gillibrand — did not catch fire. But it is, one must concede, a narrower race than it should be.