Well, it’s nice to see where Republicans are trying to take the impeachment inquiry on day #3 of the public hearings.
- They’re still trying to investigate Joe and Hunter Biden.
- They’re still trying to out the whistleblower.
- They’re trying to question the patriotism and judgment of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman.
The response to these efforts need not be complicated.
- Joe and Hunter Biden are not under investigation in this inquiry. The behavior of Donald Trump is. Others have looked into the Biden’s relationship to Burisma and Ukraine, and while there are certainly issues of appearance of conflict of interest, there is no “there” there.
- Under the laws of the United States, the whistleblower should not be outed, and since (by his own admission) he has no first-hand knowledge, he would not be able to contribute much to the debate regardless.
- Lt. Col. Vindman is not responsible for the fact that the new Ukrainian regime — apparently impressed with both his qualifications and bearing — offered him the position of Minister of Defense, an offer that he never entertained.
Sorry Republicans, you’re going to have to do better than this.