Well, the Mueller report is out, and it seems like it’s mostly a victory for President Liar-in-Chief. So far we only have Attorney General’s Bill Barr’s four page summary of what is probably a report hundreds of pages long, but here is what we know so far:
- Mueller found no evidence of collusion between Trump personally or his campaign and the Russian government.
- Mueller neither found enough evidence to support prosecution for obstruction of justice, but also did not exonerate Trump.
Isn’t that his job, to decide whether there was obstruction of justice?
It’s certainly disappointing that Mueller didn’t find more. Trump supporters will be out in the street screaming “no collusion!”
Of course, this isn’t the end of it. There are still lots of other investigations:
- Investigations by various House committees, most of which have just gotten started.
- Investigations by the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York.
- Investigations by the US Attorney for the District of Columbia.
- Investigations by the US Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Investigations by New York City, New York State, & Other State Attorneys General.
So, it’s not over until the fat lady sings, as the saying goes.
Like everyone else, I’m going to want to see the whole Mueller report, even if it is heavily redacted. This isn’t going to end the debate, that’s for sure.
But it was mostly good news for Trump and his supporters, about that there can be little debate.